Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Alright Already

People remind me (daily) what a difficult two years my family has been through. I think they are afraid that I've forgotten about the motorcycle wreck, the brain tumour, the cancer, the second brain tumour, etc. etc. So they very kindly point it out, with furrowed eyebrows as they wait for me to form words of sympathy inducing gratitude; that we have come through everything and are still alive, I suppose. The banality of it all is quite depressing.

But here is the truth.

It has made our lives better.

I can't go so far as to say that I wouldn't change anything, because my husband is the one who has endured most of the physical pain. But I wouldn't change any of my own pain for what we have gained over the past two years and seven months. We have grown as a family, and my relationship with my husband has been completely altered. We always held something back from each other in the past. I actually preferred it that way, so did he, which is why we were so perfect for each other. But when you nurse someone back to health things change. And when you take turns nursing one another back to health, it is an equitable change.

Now we are going to begin a new adventure together, and we haven't been able to say that for a very long time.

No comments: