Friday, January 21, 2011

Small Things & Nicknames

I know it seems like I am a glass half empty kind of gal. I reread my posts and they aren't exactly uplifting. I think it's important to point out that I go through my day in a very upbeat way and these writings are what allows me to do this. I put on a good face and I laugh with my friends and with my children all because I have this outlet into the anonymous universe where it doesn't even matter that no one is reading my words.

That being said, I find myself enjoying small moments. I mean really appreciating. In the moment kinds of things. They are usually at the end the day. After a hard day of work, and seeing to the needs of my high maintenance nine year old and my rehabilitating hubby, I like to put on my flannel pj's. I then make myself a) a cup of hot cocoa or b) a glass of riesling, I then retire to my oasis of a bedroom. I climb up into the middle of my gorgeous bed with my expensive chocolate colored sheets and aqua pillows and luxurious white down comfortor and I put the telly on HGTV and just relax. It feels so good that it is difficult to describe. I feel normal. I feel better than normal. It is my slice of heaven.

So I am trying to come up with nicknames for my family while I write about them. I have never been a nickname kind of person. My sister has a son she calls "Bear"; I call him William. I have just never been very good at nicknames. I have three fabulous daughters and they are each unique in their own way and it would be difficult to describe them with just one word. However, it seems the thing to do and so I am going to try.

My oldest daughter is 21. When she was younger we were close like peanut butter and jelly. I always knew what she was thinking and feeling. We grew up together. Now she is an independent young lady with thoughts and ideas of her own. She is studying at a private Bible institute has no idea what she wants to be when she grows up, but she wants to change the world. I know she can succeed at whatever she wants to do. She is a dreamer and we all know "you gotta take some time to dream because your dream might save us all"!  I will call her My Dreamer.

My 2nd daughter is 19. When she was younger we were like peanut butter and mayonnaise. Sometimes we were good together, but you had to be in the mood for something different. She grew up very independent, and very competitive with My Dreamer. Which was interesting because My Dreamer was never interested in competing with her and was happy for all her successes. She is currently attending the University of Houston. She wants to do everything when she grows up. She is very political and has very opinionated opinions. I will call her My Senator.

My third daughter is 9. She is full of light and life. She lights up a room and makes people laugh. She adores her sisters and they are mostly in adoration of her as well. She wants to be an actress when she grows up. She loves fashion and accessories. I will call her My Diva.

Well now I only have my husband left and that will complete my cast of characters. This one is a little tougher because he isn't exactly the person he has always been. Since the brain tumour, and consequently with the tumor removal, he isn't exactly himself. I will call him Uncle Ira. I will leave it to you to figure that out on your own. ;)

No comments: