Thursday, September 22, 2011

Pretty in Pink

I blindly selected a picture from my pic folder to write about. My youngest was six years old. She was showing signs of OCD and her school counselor recommended she try a team sport. The counselor was married to a football coach, her son was a football coach and perhaps team sports was the miracle solution for all her problems and thought it would help. So we went and signed up for soccer and got all the lovely accoutrements that come with the gig. Doesn't everyone get pink knee pads, pink cleats, and a pink soccer ball?

She enjoyed it for a little while, but mostly she liked to sit on the sidelines and talk and laugh and make new friends. We finished out the season, which came with a lovely lime green jersey, but she didn't want to sign up for another season.  As for the OCD, well it didn't really help but she seems to have outgrown it for the most part.

She has really grown this past year from a young girl into a tween. I was never sure what that word really meant, I thought it was an advertising word. I get it now. She is only ten, but she is developing already and has the mindset of a teenager. She is in a very In Between stage of her adolescence.

She has a lot of changes coming toward her and although I am by her side, I know that she has to learn to deal with things on her own. I'm hoping I've given her the foundation to get through it all as unscathed as possible.

No comments: