Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Year Foraging

Happy New Year.
New beginnings.
Fresh starts.

Twice a year I have a no grocery buying mandate in the house. The latest began January 1st of this year. The idea is to eat what is currently in the pantry and freezer. It usually saves us a weeks worth of grocery buying, which amounts to about $200 savings twice a year. We are currently on day 9 of our "Eat What We've Got" mandate. It is great for cleaning out the freezer and pantry and being able to start fresh.

Last night I made a list of what food was left and put it on the fridge door for everyone to see. We are down to the following:
  • frozen waffles
  • syrup
  • frozen corn
  • frozen greenbeans
  • frozen chicken breasts
  • cornbread
  • cinnamon rolls
  • cream of celery soup
  • jasmine rice
  • bowtie noodles
  • hungry jack biscuit mix
  • saltines
  • vienna sausages
  • pet milk
  • cheerios
  • frozen left over Christmas dressing
  • jar of turkey gravy
Seriously, I am thinking we could go another week with this; however, I am leaving for Florida Friday night and I am pretty sure they will be hitting the grocery story on the way home from dropping me at the airport.

Sunday I made a meal of brussel sprouts, 3 cheese tortellini with stewed tomatoes, green beans, and cheese biscuits. I also cooked up some frozen cut up pork loin and poured korean bbq sauce over it. very yummy. I love Eat What We've Got week!  Sadly, I am the only one.

Tonite we are having chicken, dressing, gravy, & green beans. mmmm.

Peace,
Susan



No comments: