Monday, July 25, 2011

For Delana, a.k.a. Banana Pudding and Plumes

This recipe is the original Nilla Wafer recipe on the back of the box (can you get Nilla wafers in France?) with a few adjustments. When my sister came out to see me in May she made this for me and showed me how easy it is to make.

3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
Dash of salt
4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
one box of Nilla Wafers (has to be Nilla Brand)
5 to 6 med. size fully ripe bananas, sliced

Combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in pot on top of stove (some people use a double boiler, not really necessary). Stir in 4 egg yolks and milk; blend well. Cook, uncovered, stirring constantly until thickened. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add vanilla.

In a large serving dish, layer Nilla Wafers alternately with your sliced bananas until all your wafers and bananas are in the dish. Then take the custard and pour into the dish, over your layers of bananas and wafers. The custard will fill all the nooks and crannies and the wafers will soak it up. Yummy.
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until delicately browned. Let cool for a short time...tastes best warm.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Mail her nilla wafers if she can't buy them in france. It definitely does not taste as good with cheap substitute wafers! Have I said... you look fabulous dahling =)

susan* said...

Thanks! :)

Delana@dujour said...

oh my, oh my.....OH MY! Did I tell you I love banana pudding or is this for some other Delana in France. OH MY! I'm just making my list for guests coming in September. Guess we're adding a box of Nilla Wafers. Thank you Susan. By the way...you ...look...fabulous!