Thursday, December 30, 2010

Women, Food & God

Yes, I borrowed that title from a book I'm reading. The book says that we are constantly trying to Not Feel. We dull our feelings with food and pills and shopping and anything else we have learned will mask the actual feeling. It has encouraged me to explore this idea. It is a little difficult to grasp because I am pretty sure I am feeling things. I laugh. I cry. Yet I see some truth in the words on the page because when I am upset, I like to reach out for something square and chocolate.

So what does this mean, to feel my feelings?

With so much going on in my life right now; I can't help but think this would be a good time to practice the idea of understanding what it is I really feel.

I am educated and well read.
I had to print out a "List of Feeling Words".
I am going to use this list as a guide until I am comfortable with finding my own words.

Today I feel
a) fatigued
b) distressed
c) empty
d) lost
These words I picked from the list and typing them on the page has also made me feel very sad.

In my own words, I feel rather like a pencil that has been used down to the nub with the pink eraser used down past the metal casing, with teeth marks on the wood.

No comments: